The Chair of Governors is Dorothy Phillips, supported by the Vice Chair of Governors, Imran Kassim. The Charlesworth School Instrument of Governance Feb 2015 indicates the maximum number of governors and it’s composition. You can read more about members of our governing body, with some short autobiographies and details of membership.
The governing body promotes high standards of educational achievement and has three key objectives:
- Providing a strategic direction for the work and continual improvement of the school
- Supporting, monitoring and evaluating the overall effectiveness of the school – being a “critical friend” for the Head and staff
- Ensuring accountability for the standards achieved and the quality of provision
Anyone aged 18 years or over can become a school governor – you don’t need to have a family member attending the school to become a governor. No specialist qualifications are needed and people from many different backgrounds volunteer for the role. Enthusiasm, commitment and an interest in education are the most important qualities. You can find out more about the role of School governors on the Derbyshire County Council website.
All Governors at Charlesworth School meet as a Full Governors Committee each term. In addition, there are two sub-committees that also meet each term:
1. The Teaching and Learning Committee focuses on the academic aspects of the school, including:
- Special Educational Needs
- Gifted and Talented
- Monitoring and evaluation
- Assessment and target setting
- Key Stage 1 & 2 assessment results
- Early Years Foundation Stage
- Every Child Matters
2. The Resources Committee focuses on the non-academic aspects of the school, including:
- Invoice approval
- Staffing (including performance management)
- Premises (including Health and Safety)
- School brochure and profile
- Nutrition / healthy eating
- Travel plan
There are also occasional committees that meet on an ad-hoc basis to address very specific issues such as pupil discipline, complaints etc.
You can contact the Governing Body by emailing the Clerk to governors firstname.lastname@example.org